Monday, June 2, 2008

We'll call it a drawl

Disclaimer: If you or someone you know speaks with a Southern accent, this post is written with all the reverence and deference in the world.

Howdy.

I've always had a thing for Southern accents. Women with that backcountry twang automatically have an edge on ladies who speak with any other dialect. In fact, I am so blinded by the Southern drawl that I think Jessica Simpson sounds smart when she talks.

So it should come as no surprise that while living in the South, I have adopted a drawl. Not just a twang; a deep, Texas drawl, y'all. And for my Montana friends who aren't surprised, it's now not just when I've imbibed Kentucky's finest spirits.

In recent days I've caught myself on the phone with baseball coaches dropping "y'alls" to refer to high school teams, and "I" have become an "Ah" and even "can't" has become the dreaded "caint."

I kid you not, on the phone today I told the coach for a local team, "Ah caint white to see y'all ply on Wenzdee."

At one point in my conversation I found myself so deep in my new-found way of speaking that even I didn't know what I was saying, so I was glad I was putting the right drawn out vowels together in a manner that could be understood.

It makes me wonder if people see through it? I'm sure my editors at work wonder what the hell is wrong with the kid in the corner desk who at random times starts speaking like a character from Deliverance. But do people speaking to me for the first time on the phone know that I'm faking? Because it's definitely not a conscious thing, I just pick it up.

It happened when I was in New Orleans three years ago, and it's carried over to 2008. I should have known the South would rise again in my speech.

Oh. Aynd styte basebawl will be hap'nin all wake, so y'all cain eggspect s'moher updytes on thayat.

9 comments:

Virginia J. Cleaveland said...

we know you're faking.
love, virginia

Tess McEnroe said...

I hope your "fake" accent is still around this fall. I want to hear a live version!

S said...

You are a sad, sad little man...

Shane said...

oh god... i have looked into the future and seen myself... hopefully not... if i do, we need to make sure to call each other in a few weeks: if could be a little out of control...

Blair said...

We know you're faking. In fact, some people find it offensive. I just find it endearing when people emulate the accent.

FikhmanFoto said...

oh bill... oh bill.. i mean, i pick up accents and ways of speaking when i go places too, but that's like so extreme! i know you're an oregonian from hebo and all.. but c'mon... even the most reddest of necks around there don't talk like that!

lovelyshan said...

does this mean Jessica has an edge over me? I mean she does look like a barbie, but I never felt her dialect had me cornered.

Sigh

Love catching up on your life :)
Shans

John Roberson said...

Hi Bill, I just wandered here from Danny's blog. I'm a native Texan. Truth be told, they probably see right through your accent, but there's a chance they just think you're from a lesser state like Mississippi, Arkansas, or Northern Florida. If you're lucky. (Yes, the Southern drawl varies considerably from state to state -- just like the barbeque!)

k-squared said...

A post on southern accents with no mention of Jerry "Moonlight" Brown? That's unfortunate.