Sunday, June 15, 2008

"Sun"-day burn; Chronicling all stars

The weekend life of the summer intern is pretty relaxed. Yesterday I lounged in a pool for a few hours, took a long nap, and went to a carnival (where I won a stuffed monkey and inflatable sword).

My friend Blair was hosting the pool party at her apartment, which was really cool of her, since we interns are without pool here at St. Ed's. But I should have known to put on suntan lotion, because I got burnt. In fact, I will venture to say it's even worse than the sunburn I got at Canyon Ferry last fall; many of you have seen a certain photo of that sunburn.

For those of you who haven't seen it, consider yourselves fortunate.

Anyhow, mid-last week I fell into an opportunity with the Houston Chronicle to cover today's high school baseball all star game. I was thinking the game was to be played at 7 p.m., so you can imagine my surprise when I woke up this morning at 10:30 a.m. and discovered the game was at noon.

I had to wake up my roommate Eric, who had agreed to come to the game and give me a ride (my car is still in the shop). He reluctantly got ready and the three of us--Eric, my sunburn and I--high-tailed our way to Round Rock for the game.

For an all star game this one was quite a disappointment. Aren't all star games supposed to have lots of scoring? Lots of flash and panache? If so, nobody told the North and South Texas all stars.

Regardless, it was an excellent opportunity to write for an even bigger and better-read newspaper. The Chronicle is the 10th largest newspaper in the United States, so it was quite a thrill to write for it. Just goes to show that being in the right place at the right time can really pay off.

You can read my story from the game here.

If you're not particularly interested in reading about more Texas high school baseball, I might direct your attention to this hilarious piece of advice for college graduates. I still have a year to go, but was still able to pick up some good nuggets for post-college life.

Also, things aren't looking too promising for me in the U.S. Open pool. I should have known Tiger Woods would morph into Superman on the third day. Sheesh.

I better start researching for the British Open.

1 comment:

Blair said...

Lesson Number 1: Wear sunscreen in Texas. We're closer to the equator.