Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Technazoicism, don't cry for me Danny Davis, and no impotence here(!)

Today I got to shoot my second video for Statesman.com on a UT pole vaulter who last weekend won the national championship.

Yesterday I explained that the camera was surprisingly low-tech. Well, I want to elaborate on that and explain that while it sounds cool that I'm shooting video, I haven't had to learn any new skills--other than keeping my hand steady. I think it's just so cool that on such small devices we can now produce Web-ready content within a matter of minutes. The people in charge of the Montana Kaimin should really look into this stuff.

Oh. Wait.

I didn't make mention last week of the death of Tim Russert. I didn't think my national audience would be coming to AssAus for perspective on his career and impact on journalism. They could get those on any one of the major television networks and on virtually every other Web site.

That said, I was really affected by his death. I got to see Russert speak when I was a high school senior and on a trip to Washington as part of the Al Neuharth Free Spirit conference. My signed copy of his book, "Big Russ and Me," is a prized possession.

I tell you all this because Danny and I had a long gDebate last night about handling death. Essentially, Danny--who says he "doesn't know how to be emotional," which I don't believe--feels that getting worked up over the death of a celebrity or public figure is disingenuous and, at best, a waste of time, since he or she didn't give a damn about you.

Valid points, and he blogged his thoughts on the matter today (well worth a read).

I, however, am of the opinion that when your life has been affected by someone, his or her death should affect you equally.

Mothers cried when Elvis died. By seemingly all accounts, most Americans mourned like they lost a family member when President Kennedy was shot. Same goes for countless other dignitaries and public figures. Dr. King. Marilyn Monroe. The Challenger crew.

It's human nature to embrace people, whether we know them or not, and being forced to let go unexpectedly isn't easy.

This is how I explained to Danny my emotions regarding Russert's death:

"Life goes on and my day-to-day world hasn't changed, really. But I definitely felt like something was suddenly missing from the world when I learned he had died. That's all. Empty? Yeah, for a while, but I got over it. That doesn't change the fact that his death hit me, more than most others because I felt an intimacy with him, be it from having gotten to listen to him speak, or having just read his book or having watched him for most of my life."

Anyhow, we agreed to disagree.

Oh, and I get my car back tomorrow. I've been assured it will be as good as used.

Oh (2), and for all those copy editors (and wordsmiths from all corners), I'm concluding with this hilarious video. Big ups to loyal reader Simmi for the link.


1 comment:

Blair said...

That video is awesome!