Monday, June 9, 2008

Winthrop Paroo and you, and a story by Bill, too!

I was less than honest yesterday when I indicated I'd spent my weekend totally listless, lounging on the couch and reading about dudes getting dumped.

Alas, I left out some some of the good stuff, including the "Indian food, showtune sing-alongs, late night dancing, and all-round low brow joke telling" that my new friend Emily alluded to in my last post.

In addition, I've recently decided to get back to my street-ball roots. So Eric and I have started going down to Mabel Davis District Park to get some serious run (ignore briefly that serious run leaves me in serious pain and in need of a serious physician).

Eric and I had illusions of being like "White Men Can't Jump," despite both being white. Turns out, white men can't run, shoot, dribble, jump or pass.

On Sunday we caught a game with some curious characters, including one dude who looked a bit like a huskier Chris Bosh, but with the game of this Chris. There was also a guy in camouflage pants with an unkempt beard and a tangled gray mane, who kept talking about how he had been working on his left-hand game (we couldn't tell).

Interesting fact* about Chris: Every four years he serves as a French judge for figure skating in the Winter Olympics. We learned this thanks to this exchange yesterday:

Eric: [makes shot, starts getting back on defense] Score?
Chris: 13-9, us.
Eric: [perplexed] My last basket was our 10th, I'm pretty sure it's more like 10-11.
Chris: Nah, you're wrong.
Eric: I don't think so.
Chris: Nah, you're wrong. Maybe you would have had a 10 if you had landed that triple axle.

Eric and I went back to the court today, a little apprehensive, but found that the Monday night crew is way cooler and more fun to play with. I also found that I am not half the player I used to be, and that player used to be a pretty significant cog in the Nestucca High School Bobcats basketball machine.

Two straight Most Improved Player awards do not lie.

I'm attributing my sub-par performance to my jammed left ring finger. My injury occurred at the start of our first game when teammate rifled a pass into the post that ricocheted off my finger, leaving my second joint as swollen to the size of a ... a swollen finger.

"I just jammed my typing finger," I declared. Nobody cared.

To hammer home the point, I thought I would write my blog with every "s" replaced with a "th" -- a la Winthrop from the "Music Man" -- and each "w" with a "v" -- in the spirit of Dracula. I was counting on not needing to type "x" very often.

But Danny told me that would be annoying.

So I bucked up ... but tried to avoid using words that contained either an "s" or a "w."

I'm glad I finished this story about lacrosse before I suffered my injury.

*Fact [fakt] (n): something Bill made up

5 comments:

Whitney Bermes said...

Oh no!!!! Not you're TYPING FINGER!!!!! Whatever will you do????

sammy pearson said...

Ok I can sympathize here because I am horrible at basketball too. I usually foul everyone and hit my friends in the face while attempting to play defense because I'm just that uncoordinated...

sammy pearson said...

But it would be funny to watch you try to play, wonder who would suck more.

Blair said...

Winthrop, nice referrence.

Allie said...

Most Improved Player is quite an accomplishment. Sadly, I've actually been there too. You feel good about it for like half a second until you realize that you've been slapped by a backhanded compliment. Knowing that I'm in good company makes me feel only slightly better, but it helps.