Greetings from beautiful -- and wet -- Reno, Nev.
What a crazy day it was on the first leg of my journey to Austin.
A word of advice to any other journalism students who haven't yet started their internships: Find your Social Security card now. My parents were certain they knew where it was, but last night it was declared MIA. Now, this really put me in a bind. But it was decided I could get a declaration that I do indeed have one at an SS office along the road.
Easier said than done.
The one in Klamath Falls, Ore., was only open Monday through Wednesday.
Damn, damn, damn.
Thanks to some investigative reporting by me über-incredible and wicked-awesome friend Andrea Parker, we learned there was an office in Susanville, Calif., which was only open till 4 p.m., and at least three hours away (it was 12:30 at the time).
Short story long, we made it and I got my document. But the wise would get all their ducks lined up before setting out for an internship.
Now to the good stuff...
I'm in Reno. Will be gambling this evening. Will be hanging out with my broha Johnny "Don't Rock the" Cribb. Plan to show him around some of the city sights ...
Highest gas I saw was $4.29 in Reno ... Which is good, because I paid $3.83 20 miles outside of town.
If this update hasn't been enough for you and you want even more Bill (seriously Mom... I'll be back in three months), check out this little gem. The Native News Project went live on the Web today and will be inserted in tomorrow's Missoulian (thanks Gwen!). My story is on the Blackfeet Reservation.
If you're more visually stimulated, here's the most famous song to ever mention Reno.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
good job on planning ahead with the Social Security card.
Nice use of a Johnny Cash reference. I approve.
The Native News website looks really nice... they spelled your name wrong on the credits page though.
Post a Comment