The first step was landing the internship, the second step is now getting there.
Around 2 p.m. yesterday my 30 hour journey from El Picazo hunting lodge in the Santiago Del Estero province of Argentina, concluded when our plane touched down in Portland. Allowing little time to breathe, early tomorrow morning I'll head south again, this time toward Austin.
So today, I am rummaging through my clothes from school and my last trip, washing, folding, and organizing for my summer. This week in Austin it has been in the mid-90s every day (mid-30s in celsius), so plenty of short sleeves and sun screen.
Other than that, little to report other than I slaughtered a ton of birds in the unseasonably hot Argentine weather, gained probably 35,000 pounds by eating three or four steaks each day, and still can't speak a lick of Spanish.
In the Santiago, Chile airport I bought the May issue of Esquire, which featured a cover with Jessica Simpson shaving (hot), but I made the purchase for a story inside the mag by the incredible Chris Jones called "The Things That Carried Him." If you read nothing else this year (other than this blog) read this story. One of the finest pieces of narrative journalism I've ever read.
Hitting the road at 5 a.m. tomorrow, destination Reno, where we'll meet up with my buddy, and former roommate John, who is spending his summer there (I would give you a link here, but he isn't blogging his internship).
And I'm not kidding, read the Esquire piece.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I wish I could blog...can't wait to see bill in full reno gamble drink eat cheap lobster mode!
Bill, every time you tell me to read something, a racehorse ends up getting shot at Churchill Downs. No more, I say!
Fine, I'll read it.
Read the Esquire piece, which -- despite feeling like a leetle bit of a ripoff of Jim Sheeler's "Final Salute" series that won the Pulitzer -- still made me cry. Beautifully done.
Post a Comment