Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The first day and dudes with weird red hats

One of my fellow interns, Eric Betts, is from Emory University and will be working on the Statesman's editorial board this summer. Interestingly enough, he also owns a whip.

Now, E-Bizzle wants me to make sure everyone knows it's an "Indiana Jones whip, not a Catwoman whip," but really, it's still a whip.

So I spent much of last night cracking that whip, until I learned to whip it, whip it good, which of course reminded me of this fun tune ...



I got pretty skilled at wrapping the tip around door handles and pulling the doors shut. Eric even got to trust me so much that he would hold out a Wiffle bat and I would wrap the whip around it and try to jerk it from his hands. While it worked multiple times, I don't think I'm quite at the level of this guy.

As for the actual job, it's really great. I started at the Statesman yesterday. Got oriented and quickly got a story assignment and was thrown into the fire ... or at least the 95 degree temperature at a local softball practice.

So look for that in your friendly neighborhood Austin American-Statesman soon.

Also, made my first visit to Hooters last night to watch the Spurs and Lakers in the Western Conference finals. First impression: Wow, I feel a little guilty (but only a little) about being here. Second impression: These wings are awful. This town needs a WOW. Third impression: Feeling less guilty ...

1 comment:

S said...

What, you're moderating comments now? I hope it was someone mocking your guilt...

Can't wait to read your story...Like, now...

S