One of the biggest perks of working in sports journalism is that we get incredible seats to some really great events--for free. I've never covered an NBA Finals, a World Series, a Kentucky Derby or a Masters, but tonight I got pretty darned close.
The WNBA.
Hey now, quit snickering. I can hear you all the way down here in Texas.
I went to San Antonio tonight to cover the Silver Stars against the New York Liberty as part of a feature story I'm working on for later this week. It was another fun opportunity to work in a professional, high-paced environment.
The Silver Stars play in the AT&T Center, home also to the Spurs. So I was sitting in press row, across from the retired jersey of David Robinson, Sean Elliott (whom I will never forgive for this), George Gervin and others.
As for the WNBA, it's certainly a different game than the above-the-rim style of the (M)NBA, but holy crow, those girls can ball. One girl for the Liberty was knocking down threes from all over the court, and Becky Hammon of the Stars (I admit, definitely had a crush on Becky Hammon back in like 2003) is a marvelous ball handler and passer. She was masterful at driving and finding open teammates.
In short, being up-close to the WNBA really made me appreciate the league and women's basketball a lot more than I had previously. Although that would be like me saying I suddenly had more appreciation for SPAM--it would be hard not to improve.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I tried to post a link, but it wouldn't let me. I guess I could HTML code it. Wow, I'm dorky.
Hopefully this works:
WNBA is a joke
Yay!
Post a Comment