So we all know by know that Brett Favre and a wheel of cheese have been traded to New York for some handwarmers, but more interesting to me than the actual trade was how it was handled in the media.
I've become quite a fan of witty headlines, and frequently turn to the New York Post for the best. This is the publication that plastered "Stray-Rod" on the cover when it reported Alex Rodriguez was cheating on his wife in Toronto and elsewhere.
Some other post favorites can be seen here and here. OK, so maybe it's not the most reliable paper, but at least they're funny over there.
So I was excited to see what they'd come up with. I was hoping for a Rocket Man reference with "Brett-y and the Jets" or even "Jet Favre." But no, they went with "Brett the Jet." Serviceable? Yes. Frameable? Not by Post standards.
I wasn't impressed, until I logged on to ESPN.com to check in on the status of my free-falling fantasy baseball team — good news, it caught a jet stream and held in place for a day before starting to fall again — and was greeted by this front page:
I'm glad somebody gets me.


2 comments:
There's some good future ones in here:
http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2008/08/the-story-of-brett-favre%e2%80%99s-2008-season-predicted-entirely-using-ny-post-pun-headlines.html
BIIIIIIILLLLLL!!!! (that's me crying out as you drive off into the sunset). How very sad you are gone. However, you must get back here. To one of the best cities in the U.S. Yes, it's a MUST.
Post a Comment